Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Landscape Renders

This is fractal mathematics at its most complex. Yes, folks, all of the images below are completely computer generated. Although some are darn near photorealistic, they were all created with Terragen 0.9x.

I welcome comments on these. However, please keep in mind that not all of them were meant to look real. Some, Solem River on Mars especially, were meant to appear more as a painting than a photo.

These are definitely best viewed full size!

Kaliekahaer Peak (morning)



There is also an "evening" version of this where the sun appears in the background. However, I chose to post this one as I feel it is the better of the two. As you can see, Terragen is capable of some pretty cool lighting effects.

Lake Traleon



A tranquil mountain lake scene. I had Terragen make use of reflections on the calm water.

Mount McKittrick



A fictitious mountain that is said to be located in a remote area of northern Alaska. Terragen 0.9x does not have the capability of showing glacial formations. So, the snow was made from water (as it is in reality). I just changed the water color to white and adjusted the reflectivity.

Solem River on Mars



This was generated from a "surface map" I created using one of my fractal designs. It marks the first time I used an external image to create a surface map for Terragen.

Spiked Highlands



An imaginary place where dragons roam. Only the brave travel here.

Treasure Quarry Jin 8



I was going for a specific lighting effect here and think I pretty well nailed it. It's not obvious from this render why it is a "treasure quarry". However, there is an alternate render that reveals the land as quite golden.

No comments: