Thursday, April 10, 2008

Yes - 2008 Close To The Edge & Back Tour


Image of Yes courtesy of nfte.org


After about a 3 year hiatus, Yes is kicking off a summer tour of the US in July! The touring band will consist of Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Alan White, and Oliver Wakeman (Rick Wakeman's son). Unfortunately, Rick Wakeman's health isn't good enough to do a major tour. Rick, if you're reading this, I understand the importance of doing what is best for your health and respect you decision. On a more positive note, Jon has hinted at the possibility of the band hitting the studio after the tour in the latest issue of Notes From the Edge (#305). I hope this happens as I would love to hear new material from these outstanding musicians.

On the more personal end the spectrum, I was blessed with the chance to meet members of Yes on a few occasions. The first was in March of 1993. Rick Wakeman came to Founder's Inn in Virginia Beach, VA for an acoustic performance. I spoke to Rick for a few minutes after his performance and also got a chance to meet his good friend, Dan Wooding, who wrote Rick's first biography.

My next encounter with Yes was during the Talk tour. I e-mailed Dan Wooding to see if he could help me get backstage. Despite the fact that Rick Wakeman was not with the band at the time, Dan came through for me. Thanks Dan! I showed one the the stage hands an e-mail from Dan and he came back with a backstage pass.

Just before they guys behind NFTE announced that their site was the official Yes site, I had contacted Rick Wakeman's management to discuss the possibility of doing a web site for him. Shortly thereafter, I received an e-mail from Jeff Hunnicutt (of NFTE) asking me not to pursue things any further. Not wanting to step on any toes, I heeded his request.

As luck would have it, that was not my last brush with Yes. A friend and I were able to "unofficially" get backstage during the Open Your Eyes Tour. Here are a few pictures that I took:











I'm looking forward to the tour!

Please read the update post.

No comments: